Goriginal Content

Cult County chat!

EoD - Missed chance?

EoD - Waluigi time?

EoD - Mario where?

EoD - Which to buy?

Smash Direct wrap-up
 

GameStop internal doc shows preparation for Nintendo's 'major announcement', conference airing in-store next day

This internal memo sent out to GameStop locations discusses Nintendo's upcoming Wii U event. It seems that even GameStop isn't sure of some things!


We all know this announcement is Wii U related. It appears that GameStop is playing it extra, extra safe, just incase all the specifics don't come out. I'm sure we'll learn Wii U price and release date, but first-day software might have to wait until another day. Thanks to anonymous for the tip!

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
19 total comments (View all)
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:00

I'm so excited!! Every week, I'm going to plop down $25 until I have this bad boy paid off :)
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:00

Gamestop is getting its body ready
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:01

MarteenGreen wrote:I'm so excited!! Every week, I'm going to plop down $25 until I have this bad boy paid off :)

Remember to place the preorder it takes $50.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:02

Looks like that one guy with the Youtube video (posted about a week ago?) was telling the truth. Must be nice to have some inside info.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:05

We should get some definite launch title dates but mostly launch window ones.
We're so close now that Nintendo must know what will be coming out on day one. They have to be about ready to ship.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:05

M1 wrote:
MarteenGreen wrote:I'm so excited!! Every week, I'm going to plop down $25 until I have this bad boy paid off :)

Remember to place the preorder it takes $50.


Oh yeah I know, that will be the first week. The following weeks will be $25 from me, since my job pays me every week :) (KFC if you're wondering)
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:17

CrispyGoomba wrote:Looks like that one guy with the Youtube video (posted about a week ago?) was telling the truth. Must be nice to have some inside info.


Thanks! I was going to post this, but he wasn't at work today. So I couldn't get any footage of it. Still good to know my name will not be considered mud. LOL
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:18

I don't think Gamestop or any of the rumor mills know anything more than we do. Just wait two days, guys.
No Avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:36

I told myself I wasn't going to get hyped, but now I have to. "Major announcement" that managers must make plans around? WHAT IS IT?!?!
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:46

JJJJJJJJJ wrote:I told myself I wasn't going to get hyped, but now I have to. "Major announcement" that managers must make plans around? WHAT IS IT?!?!
Price and launch date.
No Avatar
11 Sep 2012 19:42

cobaltorange wrote:
JJJJJJJJJ wrote:I told myself I wasn't going to get hyped, but now I have to. "Major announcement" that managers must make plans around? WHAT IS IT?!?!
Price and launch date.


Exactly. Nothing too exciting. But necessary info nonetheless. We can wish for an actual list of LAUNCH games and release dates for any LAUNCH WINDOW (stupid name) games. Launch window is horribly named. Since for Ninty it spans like 3 months which is a long time. Launch window to me and a few others should mean like a week after maybe 2 weeks tops.
No Avatar
11 Sep 2012 19:56

auragar wrote:
cobaltorange wrote:
JJJJJJJJJ wrote:I told myself I wasn't going to get hyped, but now I have to. "Major announcement" that managers must make plans around? WHAT IS IT?!?!
Price and launch date.


Exactly. Nothing too exciting. But necessary info nonetheless. We can wish for an actual list of LAUNCH games and release dates for any LAUNCH WINDOW (stupid name) games. Launch window is horribly named. Since for Ninty it spans like 3 months which is a long time. Launch window to me and a few others should mean like a week after maybe 2 weeks tops.


I don't think it's something as mundane as the Wii U's price and launch date (which we frankly should've known at E3 2012). I think there's more to it than that, especially if GameStop is gearing its managerial staff up for a "major announcement". Just announcing the price and release date won't cause fireworks to go off...

What about finding out what very big title Retro Studios has been secretively working on at long last? I think I know what it is, and I think it'll be a Wii U launch title that will move systems out the door like the Wii moved out the door (and sold out for MONTHS) just six short years ago.

Nintendo has to reclaim their hardcore fanbase with this console, because they built their loyal customer base with the NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube and just hung them out to dry with the Wii in search of the casual audience who doesn't buy games. Wouldn't what Retro's working on completely blow everyone's minds and make that game a system seller for Wii U? Why would Nintendo Land NOT be bundled in with the console if they are bundling in a game so epic, so amazing, that they had to postpone their big E3 announcement of what Retro was working on to iron out the details of (what I think) will go down on Thursday?

BJ
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 20:32

BJWanlund wrote:

I don't think it's something as mundane as the Wii U's price and launch date (which we frankly should've known at E3 2012). I think there's more to it than that, especially if GameStop is gearing its managerial staff up for a "major announcement". Just announcing the price and release date won't cause fireworks to go off...

What about finding out what very big title Retro Studios has been secretively working on at long last? I think I know what it is, and I think it'll be a Wii U launch title that will move systems out the door like the Wii moved out the door (and sold out for MONTHS) just six short years ago.

Nintendo has to reclaim their hardcore fanbase with this console, because they built their loyal customer base with the NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube and just hung them out to dry with the Wii in search of the casual audience who doesn't buy games. Wouldn't what Retro's working on completely blow everyone's minds and make that game a system seller for Wii U? Why would Nintendo Land NOT be bundled in with the console if they are bundling in a game so epic, so amazing, that they had to postpone their big E3 announcement of what Retro was working on to iron out the details of (what I think) will go down on Thursday?

BJ


i don't mean to sound like a jerk, but.... keep dreaming, man. even i, an eternal nintendo optimist, find those hopes too lofty....
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 20:44

Definitely getting hyped, can't wait for Thursday.
No Avatar
11 Sep 2012 20:59

CorusFace wrote:
BJWanlund wrote:

I don't think it's something as mundane as the Wii U's price and launch date (which we frankly should've known at E3 2012). I think there's more to it than that, especially if GameStop is gearing its managerial staff up for a "major announcement". Just announcing the price and release date won't cause fireworks to go off...

What about finding out what very big title Retro Studios has been secretively working on at long last? I think I know what it is, and I think it'll be a Wii U launch title that will move systems out the door like the Wii moved out the door (and sold out for MONTHS) just six short years ago.

Nintendo has to reclaim their hardcore fanbase with this console, because they built their loyal customer base with the NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube and just hung them out to dry with the Wii in search of the casual audience who doesn't buy games. Wouldn't what Retro's working on completely blow everyone's minds and make that game a system seller for Wii U? Why would Nintendo Land NOT be bundled in with the console if they are bundling in a game so epic, so amazing, that they had to postpone their big E3 announcement of what Retro was working on to iron out the details of (what I think) will go down on Thursday?

BJ


i don't mean to sound like a jerk, but.... keep dreaming, man. even i, an eternal nintendo optimist, find those hopes too lofty....

Well hey, as a Nintendo fan since the age of 5, I needed to get all my frustrations about Nintendo's grave missteps into the casual marketplace out of my system now before the event on the 13th, so I can be just as happy and hyped as the rest of you when Reggie reveals all.

BJ
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 21:25

BJWanlund wrote:
Nintendo has to reclaim their hardcore fanbase with this console, because they built their loyal customer base with the NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube and just hung them out to dry with the Wii in search of the casual audience who doesn't buy games.
BJ


Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Brothers Wii
Super Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword
Punch-Out!!
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid - Other M
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Donkey Kong Country Returns


Fourteen games in six years and you feel "hung out to dry" just because Nintendo -also- made Wii Sports, Play, Fit, etc. not to appeal to you specifically? You can talk about the third-party developers all day if you feel like it but Nintendo didn't abandon anyone with the Wii, "in search of the casual audience" or otherwise. People forget this fact far too frequently. Yes, the Wii had a large focus on casual games. No, that focus never even came close to Nintendo's devotion to the fan base that made them what they are.
User avatar
12 Sep 2012 00:21

Guys, remember. GameStop is a retail store chain. The date and price IS a big announcement for hem, as it means they can start to take preorders for the console.
This needs a lot of work to get ready to get the preorder, set the store with promotion and ads about the WiiU, etc.
Hey, I really think that this would be awesome. I just need that info before I start putting money on my preorder. :P

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way