Goriginal Content

EoD - Warriors cast

EoD - SS motion

GN Podcast #466

EoD - Zelda music

EoD - Fatal Frame

EoD - Smash C-stick
 

Ill-prepared third parties won't make next-gen transition, says Take-Two

“If you’re not capitalized for the transition, you can find out that you’re not there for the transition. Historically, in every transition that’s occurred in this business, one or two third-parties have gone out of business. Last time around it was Midway and a couple of others. Reasonable people can argue about which one it’ll be this time. I have my own point of view, which I haven’t exactly been quiet about. We make sure we’re not on the list of casualties; to the contrary, we’re on the list of winners.” - Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick

Take-Two is obviously referring to THQ this time around. Let's hope that THQ can prove them wrong.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
23 total comments (View all)
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 16:53

what a hypocritical statement!
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 16:56

mdluffy wrote:what a hypocritical statement!


How so?

CCFanboy wrote:The irony coming from this guy. Unless companies like rockstar cut their budgets you won't survive next gen anyway.


In what way is he being ironic? Take-Two's not stupid.

GTA 6 is going to sell millions and millions of copies on the PS4 and 720 (and hopefully Wii U), they're going to be just fine.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 16:57

The irony coming from this guy. Unless companies like rockstar cut their budgets you won't survive next gen anyway.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 16:59

Good to see Nintendo raising development costs for 3rd parties.
No Avatar
Anonymous
28 Nov 2012 17:07

You know, I've been wondering what Strauss Zelnick thinks about stuff.
No Avatar
28 Nov 2012 17:13

a lot of merging a and out of business companies are going to happen next gen. last gen most wasnt even ready for hd and high graphics, same is going to be with next gen.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 17:20

@M1
That's not what it's about dude. Clearly you are clueless as to what he is talking about.

What it is about is not preparing your team by giving them the tools, training, and technology to work with next generation consoles effectively. We saw this happen a lot at the start of the 5th generation with the jump to 3D, and a lot of previously top dog companies died off or went way down in significant (SEGA is an example of the latter), while a lot of small companies went upwards (Koijima Productions, Sony).

Similar things (to a lesser degree) happened with the jump to the 6th and 7th generation of gaming. Nearly every "top dog": gaming company was ill-prepared for the 7th generation of gaming, with the huge graphic jumps, the HD transition (most game can only run up to 720p. That technology is almost a decade old. And heck, the Wii couldn't run that), the initial weak online (on consoles, specifically handhelds and the Wii), what gamers are into (for example, instrumental gamers were huge 5 years ago; Activision made too many, and now, they are worthless) and managing the cost of stuff.

Because of things like this, many companies will fall, some will be smart enough to rise, and several big companies will die. Simply put, don't expect THQ to be the only big name company to fall. If the likes of Capcom or Activision fall this generation, it wouldn't surprise me.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 17:23

Johnknight1 wrote:@M1
That's not what it's about dude. Clearly you are clueless as to what he is talking about.

Ignore this guy man. He has nothing positive to contribute to nintendo. Don't even know why he bothers posting here. If we ignore him he will go away :wink:
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 17:28

Nothing like kicking someone when they're down.

Take Two should just be quiet and remember that they weren't doing so well themselves and at one point were targeted for buyout by EA.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 17:29

@jlatimer11

They were targeted because they were doing good not bad.

Anyways i like how humble he is :?
No Avatar
28 Nov 2012 17:34

But some like the new generation.It really depends on the company. Perhaps THQ should just make Wii U games, especially if it's costly.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 17:44

I hope nobody does this stupid "next-gen" transition, with the budget that huge developers have right now, absolutely everything it's possible for games... I only see that "next-gen" used by 3d animators to render their movies in real time and rather quickly than now... But games, right now, look awesome... and this stupid next-gen thing it's just about a "graphical" jump... which will only end up making developers waste a lot of money on stuff like animation, game engines and stuff (considering that some developers spend like a 100 million in making games like max payne 3... I suppose he is saying this because of the sales of that game)
If this next gen happens, then we will be watching movies instead of playing games, like 7 hours of cinematics and two hours of gameplay... Anyway, I hope developers realize that they are spending too much money on games that could be done with small teams and a lower budgets...
I also hope the wii u tries to change this, since it seems that it's very cheap to develop and patching is free, there are a lot of opportunities for developers there, and the graphics are not that demanding as" next gen" machines so they can keep the budget low and still make a gorgeous game like trine 2 or nano assault neo for example.

Anyway, my point is that I just don't want to see devs spending that much money on games... there's no need for that
No Avatar
28 Nov 2012 17:49

Johnknight1 wrote:@M1
That's not what it's about dude. Clearly you are clueless as to what he is talking about.

What it is about is not preparing your team by giving them the tools, training, and technology to work with next generation consoles effectively. We saw this happen a lot at the start of the 5th generation with the jump to 3D, and a lot of previously top dog companies died off or went way down in significant (SEGA is an example of the latter), while a lot of small companies went upwards (Koijima Productions, Sony).

Similar things (to a lesser degree) happened with the jump to the 6th and 7th generation of gaming. Nearly every "top dog": gaming company was ill-prepared for the 7th generation of gaming, with the huge graphic jumps, the HD transition (most game can only run up to 720p. That technology is almost a decade old. And heck, the Wii couldn't run that), the initial weak online (on consoles, specifically handhelds and the Wii), what gamers are into (for example, instrumental gamers were huge 5 years ago; Activision made too many, and now, they are worthless) and managing the cost of stuff.

Because of things like this, many companies will fall, some will be smart enough to rise, and several big companies will die. Simply put, don't expect THQ to be the only big name company to fall. If the likes of Capcom or Activision fall this generation, it wouldn't surprise me.



The issue being many franchises just don't work in the next generation. Some games were just the ''graphics whore' games. Some games were glorified tech demos. Look at the games this gen.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 17:56

Sticker wrote:I hope nobody does this stupid "next-gen" transition, with the budget that huge developers have right now, absolutely everything it's possible for games... I only see that "next-gen" used by 3d animators to render their movies in real time and rather quickly than now... But games, right now, look awesome... and this stupid next-gen thing it's just about a "graphical" jump... which will only end up making developers waste a lot of money on stuff like animation, game engines and stuff (considering that some developers spend like a 100 million in making shovel games like max payne 3... I suppose he is saying this because of the sales of that game)
If this next gen happens, then we will be watching movies instead of playing games, like 7 hours of cinematics and two hours of gameplay... Anyway, I hope developers realize that they are spending too much money on games that could be done with small teams and a lower budgets...
I also hope the wii u tries to change this, since it seems that it's very cheap to develop and patching is free, there are a lot of opportunities for developers there, and the graphics are not that demanding as" next gen" machines so they can keep the budget low and still make a gorgeous game like trine 2 or nano assault neo for example.

Anyway, my point is that I just don't want to see devs spending that much money on games... there's no need for that


wow. well said, i couldn't agree more.
No Avatar
28 Nov 2012 18:08

M1 wrote:Good to see Nintendo raising development costs for 3rd parties.

Do you get a high on trolling here on a Nintendo forum? Why don't you go to a playstation or xbox forum?

Nintendo's costs won't be as high as the new Xbox and PS4.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 18:09

Coming from someone who actually played it, Max Payne 3 was pretty great
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 18:27

ninjablaze wrote:Coming from someone who actually played it, Max Payne 3 was pretty great

Sorry if I said the game was bad, I just didn't like it... I really enjoyed the mood of the first two games... and seeing the change of artstyle and stuff and all that typical storyline with the hot latina girl being kidnapped... It really disappointed me in that way, but the thing is that they spent more than 100 million on making it and it sold poorly... They may had spent 30 to 50 million and things would have been completely different.
Just wanted to clarify that, don't want to debate if it's a good or a bad game, neither wanted to bother you or something, I'll edit the post so no one gets hurt here
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 18:38

linkgx1 wrote:
M1 wrote:Good to see Nintendo raising development costs for 3rd parties.

Do you get a high on trolling here on a Nintendo forum? Why don't you go to a playstation or xbox forum?

Nintendo's costs won't be as high as the new Xbox and PS4.


So telling the truth constitutes trolling now?

I also own only Nintendo systems... Well I do game on my PC as well...


You guys cannot hide from the truth.

Remember Shaanyboi is far more critical than me.
No Avatar
28 Nov 2012 18:53

M1 wrote:
linkgx1 wrote:
M1 wrote:Good to see Nintendo raising development costs for 3rd parties.

Do you get a high on trolling here on a Nintendo forum? Why don't you go to a playstation or xbox forum?

Nintendo's costs won't be as high as the new Xbox and PS4.


So telling the truth constitutes trolling now?

I also own only Nintendo systems... Well I do game on my PC as well...


You guys cannot hide from the truth.

Remember Shaanyboi is far more critical than me.


No your mouth is trollng.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 20:42

linkgx1 wrote:
Johnknight1 wrote:@M1
That's not what it's about dude. Clearly you are clueless as to what he is talking about.

What it is about is not preparing your team by giving them the tools, training, and technology to work with next generation consoles effectively. We saw this happen a lot at the start of the 5th generation with the jump to 3D, and a lot of previously top dog companies died off or went way down in significant (SEGA is an example of the latter), while a lot of small companies went upwards (Koijima Productions, Sony).

Similar things (to a lesser degree) happened with the jump to the 6th and 7th generation of gaming. Nearly every "top dog": gaming company was ill-prepared for the 7th generation of gaming, with the huge graphic jumps, the HD transition (most game can only run up to 720p. That technology is almost a decade old. And heck, the Wii couldn't run that), the initial weak online (on consoles, specifically handhelds and the Wii), what gamers are into (for example, instrumental gamers were huge 5 years ago; Activision made too many, and now, they are worthless) and managing the cost of stuff.

Because of things like this, many companies will fall, some will be smart enough to rise, and several big companies will die. Simply put, don't expect THQ to be the only big name company to fall. If the likes of Capcom or Activision fall this generation, it wouldn't surprise me.

The issue being many franchises just don't work in the next generation. Some games were just the ''graphics whore' games. Some games were glorified tech demos. Look at the games this gen.

Yeah, a lot of games early on in a console's lifespan are just inferior versions of games from last generation (like Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 on the WiiU), glorified tech demos (remember Red Steel?), or have huge budgets on graphics. I'm sure many of you know my theory on graphics, but I see minimal room for improvement this generation. The "big thing" this generation IMO will be processing power, the amount of features a game has, and online-based ways to get players more into games.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 21:52

Of course Take-Two will attack THq. For one, it produces the only challenger to the GTA throne. Secondly, the company is an easy target because it is run so poorly.
User avatar
29 Nov 2012 00:15

Sticker wrote:
ninjablaze wrote:Coming from someone who actually played it, Max Payne 3 was pretty great

Sorry if I said the game was bad, I just didn't like it... I really enjoyed the mood of the first two games... and seeing the change of artstyle and stuff and all that typical storyline with the hot latina girl being kidnapped... It really disappointed me in that way, but the thing is that they spent more than 100 million on making it and it sold poorly... They may had spent 30 to 50 million and things would have been completely different.
Just wanted to clarify that, don't want to debate if it's a good or a bad game, neither wanted to bother you or something, I'll edit the post so no one gets hurt here


It's cool dude, everyone's entitled to their opinions, no need to apologize.

I don't think it's shovelware, but I can easily see how it wouldn't be someone's cup of tea.

Sorry if I was a little snarky in my post.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way