GameStop - Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition lets you play Revelation 3 weeks early

Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition Includes:
All Three Versions of Fire Emblem: Fates (Birthright, Conquest, Revelation*) on a Single Cartrige**
*Allows purchasers to play Revelations three weeks prior to launch on eshop
**Only way to get all Three Versions on a Single Cartridge
Hardcover Art Book
Nintendo 3DS XL Carrying Pouch featuring Game Art
About Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright:
Two kingdoms are on the brink of war. Whose side will you choose? Torn between two families, you're an heir of Hoshido, raised by Nohrian royals. If you walk the path of Birthright, you'll battle the corrupted king of Nohr beside a family of strangers. Command them expertly and forge deep relationships to master this turn-based strategy game.

A brand new Fire Emblem experience is on its way for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. For the first time ever, your customized avatar is the main hero. An army of knights, mages, archers and more are at your command in the most tactical battles in series history. Each unit and weapon has strengths and weaknesses you must consider for every foe you face. Partner allies on the battlefield so they can support each other in combat. Building relationships is key - the closer your allies become, the better they'll fight together. Their future is at your command, but first you must make the most important decision in the history of Fire Emblem.

For the first time in the Fire Emblem series, your customized avatar is the main character (Prince or Princess of Hoshido Kingdom)
Epic storyline centered on your avatar, forced to choose between bloodline and family who raised you.
New "My Castle" area to interact with your allies and build stronger relationships
Have StreetPass encounters with other players to visit their My Castle
Tap in corresponding Fire Emblem amiibo figures and Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin will appear in your game, ready for you to battle and recruit
About Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
Two kingdoms are on the brink of war. Whose side will you choose? Torn between two families, you're an heir of Hoshido, raised by Nohrian royals. If you walk the path of Conquest, you must fight to change your misguided kingdom from within. Command warriors with expert precision and forge deep relationships to master this turn-based strategy game.

For the first time in the Fire Emblem series, your customized avatar is the main character.
Have StreetPass encounters with other players to visit their My Castle

Comments

fred duck
Sat Nov 21 15 08:18am

GameStop said:
Allows purchasers to play Revelations three weeks prior to launch on eshop

Proving that as usual, DLC is completed way in advance, then dribbled out later for marketing purposes. (angel)

GameStop said:

Wait, I thought your customized avatar was the main character in FEA.

GameStop said:

Wait, why on earth would these guys be here? They all lived at the same time and came to this place for some contrived reason? Or is Nintendo screwing with timelines just to MAKE MONEY?

Perhaps back in the day, these characters would show up as secret guest characters you had to find by accomplishing some hidden goal. Now, secrets are sold for $13 a pop. FANTASTIC.

I don't even have any amiibo (indicating that I don't care much about them) but to be fair secrets are not sold for $13 a pop because you only pay $13 once and then can use the amiibo in many different games.

As you noticed those characters are not really part of this game. WIthout amiibo they would not be there. It was extra work to add those characters into the game which is supported by amiibo. The game has its own secrets that you discover while playing just like it always would have.

Long story short I really have no idea what you are complaining about.

pwny said:

Okay. So secrets are sold for let’s see, $13/3? or was it $13/4? Oh, don’t forget to factor in the cost of a New 3DS ($220) or a reader ($20). So, that’s about $8. (Or $58.)

Thanks to PWNY for pointing out my mistake. I should have written:

Now, secrets are sold for $8 a pop.

This is different from $13 a pop but even more significantly different from THEY USED TO BE FREE. Remember when games tried to have replay value?

pwny said:
As you noticed those characters are not really part of this game.

As you noticed:

Fred Duck said:

You’re right, though. Without the technological breakthrough that is amoeba, they couldn’t have put Cloud in Final Fantasy Tactics, nor would we have Darth Maul in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Disgaea couldn’t have Marjoly, R.O.B. couldn’t be in Mario Kart DS, oh the list goes on.

pwny said:
Long story short I really have no idea what you are complaining about.

You could try reading what I wrote, perhaps?

If not, here are a few things I’m complaining about:

The industry trend to ship first, patch later…if you’re very lucky.
The way companies hack off bits of game to sell later for extra coin, intentionally wrecking the video game as a “single unit,” which it had been for decades.
The way companies are trying to monetize every single thing in games, down to selling individual characters, which is destroying longevity and replay value.
A certain VERY WEALTHY multinational corporation screwing with their games to “support” plastic trash that should NEVER have interfered with games in the first place.
Companies turning around and instead of inserting fan service as a service to fans and a kind of thank you for customer loyalty like they used to, now CHARGING for it.
All of the customer-hostile moves publishers keep pushing while stripping down their products more and more.

Basically, look at how they’re doing things. Is it better now? If yes, then yay. If not, then I totally don’t want it.

Thanks to PWNY for pointing out my mistake. I should have written:

Now, secrets are sold for $8 a pop.

No that is still not right. You are saying 'now secrets are sold for x' as if the games no longer come with any secrets and that every secret has to be paid for. The only game I bought that didn't seem complete was Splatoon and the updates have been free. What games specifically felt incomplete to you, compared to what you would normally expect, and had to be made complete with paid dlc?

PWNY said:

That's your own interpretation. I didn't say EVERY secret, just secrets.

Several games like new Etrian Odysseys have what amounts to cheat codes as paid-for DLC.

PWNY said:

(Obviously, we can't be talking about secrets here, since if you ask for money, most people will want to know what they're buying.)

Just off the top of my head,

Mario Golf: World Tour.

There are story mission DLC for Shin Megami Tensei IV.

There are entire characters for Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley.

I'm not sure why you differentiate Splatoon DLC being free or not. They sold a barebones, unfinished game for full price. If it hadn't hit their magical sales threshold, they probably would NEVER have updated it. Is that supposed to be better?

Also, Mario Kart 75 or whatever on Wii U. Yes, Nintendo artificially made every entry roughly the same size for some reason, but that's really bizarre as you'd expect newer games to be bigger than older ones. Whether you "feel" a game is incomplete or not, if there's DLC, that means the base game IS incomplete because DLC is part of the game. If it were not, it would not be sold for that game to complete it.

That doesn't mean it was originally 100% complete in time before the Japanese launch of the game. As Fire Emblem If Special Edition did NOT contain the third route on the cartridge, it only had Birthright and Conquest on a single cartridge. Every Japanese player (with Birthright, Conquest or the Special Edition) had to wait for the availability of the DLC. Sure it's certainly a marketing plow for the west, I agree with that.

Chrom was actually THE main character and he was the ONLY character that was required to be used in every chapter (excluding the Outrealm Gate), but the Avatar and Lucina were also main characters for the purpose of the story.

It's neither really (except for the make additional cash part, but there are now 3 games that really utilize the FE amiibos, Smash, Code name STEAM and FE Fates and I'm sure that will grow (sure there's Yoshi's WW and SMM, but those are simply skins)). They are basically Smash FE characters (that simply pop up) and only have vague knowledge of their respected games.

TSUKIDEITY said:

That doesn’t mean it wasn’t, either. :P

By the way, how do you feel about Fantasy Life?

Look at the entire history of DLC. Has any company ever actually come out and said, “Yeah, we made it before we finished the game?” I certainly have never seen it. Zero people have ever said that.

Game companies have lied to us about:

Features in games.
The reasons why features are in games.
Platform exclusivity.
The number of endings.
How complex games are.
How good the graphics are.
How advanced the AI is.

However, you really believe that with all of that, the ONE aspect of games that is so sacred that you can’t fib about it is…DLC?

Your choices are either:
A) NO ONE has EVER lied about it.
B) Someone has somewhere, so who is it?

If no one has ever lied about it in the history of space and time, then wow, that’s amazing.

If they have lied about it, then how widespread is it?

Of course, there’s also

C) At some random point in development, the developers ring a bell and say “we’ve finished the game!” and then continue working because really haven’t finished the game.

I don’t understand why some people need to cling to the questionable logic that “it was made after the game was finished, therefore I must pay for it."

Any sort of patching means the game was not finished. If it had been properly bug-tested and play-tested, it wouldn’t need patches and if you start adding in random characters / items / etc. into a game after it’s supposedly finished, what guarantee is there that said things work properly, don’t break the game, etc? Wouldn’t you want that kind of stuff to be appropriately tested? You imagine they call everyone in who actually did play testing before to do it again, per inserted thing?

If I write a “finished” paper and hand it in to my professor, he’s going to grade it based on what I gave him. I can’t submit an extra couple of pages a few months later and expect to be given a better grade.

When I write a book and it goes through the entire editing process and hits store shelves, I can’t say “Oh, hang on, let me insert another chapter” because I literally can’t. That’s what finished means.

Just because it’s technologically possible to screw around with video games like this doesn’t mean they should or that it’s right.

I feel you've got lots of anger built up in you when it comes to DLC. :P
I never disagreed with you. Maybe is wasn't 100% complete or maybe it was. There is simply a possibility that it wasn't 100% complete in time to add to the FE If Special Edition for Japanese gamers before the due date of when the cartridge versions needed to be written on, boxed and shipped. Most likely they held it back for marketing reasons, but the possibility is still there. Personally, I think including the 3rd route in the SE would have just made the demand for the SE that much greater. Heck, the Mario Kart 8 DLC could all have been completed before the release of the game but held back to sell as DLC 6 month and a year later. Same goes for Splatoon. Smash is a little different, at least with it's updates, as it's a fighting game and it's being tweaked for the meta game. Will we ever get the truth out of them. Of course not, the average consumer is happier with a white lie than the truth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending it, I miss the days where EVERYTHING was included in the game. I bought said game and that's it, I was done. Then I just needed to wait for the EVERYTHING included sequel of said game. As it stands now, I've only ever purchased DLC for FE Awakening, I bought a couple maps and then realized they were super overpriced and stopped buying them. That;s my paid DLC history. I want everything included in the game, so I'm super happy all three routes are in the NA western SE. I'm still waiting for pre-orders of the SE to pop up in Canada.... nothing yet....Sad

I don't really consider updates and DLC to be the same thing. Bug/play testers never do and will never find all the bugs and glitches in any one game. Mind you, I think GAME BREAKING bugs/glitches should always be found to the best of their abilities. You can have the worlds best play/bug testers fixing your game, but sooner or later some random gamer will find an exploit or a bug. Running around as Fierce Deity Link in Zelda Majora's Mask was simply the best, if that was today, I'm sure it would have been patched out. But games like AC Unity or Halo MCC, those were incomplete games that were put on the market due to publishers seeing nothing but dollars signs. That stuff is BS.

P.S. The Fantasy Life article is indeed BS.

TSUKIDEITY said:
I feel you've got lots of anger built up in you when it comes to DLC. :P

There's just so much about DLC to be unhappy about.

TSUKIDEITY said:

Perhaps not every single bug but there are way too many reports of companies getting rather major bug reports and still shipping because marketing says to. ~_~

I will be over here now, playing Rayman Legends. You'd think that after delaying it for months, they'd've made it perfect but apparently ZERO people on the dev team thought it might be helpful to show your trophy cut offs for daily challenges on the retry screen. >_<

I've always wanted to play more Fire Emblem, but it's an expensive series to get into. I got the first Fire Emblem to come out in the U.S. for the GBA when I was a kid, and liked it, but now going back and trying to catch up there's a lot and they are expensive. Now the new ones come 2 or 3 at a time. Geez. One day...

Does anyone know how the save files are gonna work?

You get three save files for each campaign, so having all three gives you nine in total.

Thanks! By chance, have you seen any videos of someone starting up a single cartridge version in japan?

Yes, I remember GameXplain doing a playthrough of the first few chapters. You can check their channel if you want to know more.

Nintendo, why do you not love Canada? I want to buy your collector editions, yet you refuse to bring them to us early and in reasonable quantities.

For the early 3 weeks, don't care. I will play it last.

Search