4Gamer has published an interview with the team behind Tetris 99, and a number of interesting details have been shared. Check out a summary of the info below.
- development for Tetris 99 started in April 2018
- this was when developers figured out what kind of Tetris game they wanted to make
- after the concept was decided, development went into full swing, and a prototype came together by October 2018
- development took about 10 months
- the inspiration for Tetris 99 came from the Battle Royale genre
- the developers were really excited about the idea, with some stating they wanted to “make this” and “play this”
- Tetris 99 was originally going to have 100 players, but they changed it to 99 in order to have an even number of players on both sides of the screen