IGN - Nintendo Voice Chat Podcast: summary
Mega Man 9
- Debate was going on about what score the graphics should get
- Matt thinks the graphics are outdated and kind of ugly, but it doesn’t affect the gameplay
- Craig/Bozon say it’s not a bad looking game, just a step back in technology
- Daemon doesn’t think the graphics are bad either
- Graphics score given was a 3
- In the swing of things, the whole breakdown doesn’t affect the scores as much as people think they do
- Talk about how cool the Mega Man 9 press kit is
Wario Land: Shake It!
- 8.4 review score
- Doesn’t run in true widescreen, Matt feels its almost a deal-breaker for him these days
- Still a quality product, controls are responsive
- Level design is great, a lot of variety
- Backdrops change a lot too, reminds Matt of the games he grew up with playing and loved
- Doesn’t have many gimmicks other
- You know where to go, you just have to figure out how to get there
- Bozon doesn’t like some of the backgrounds - such a small amount of parallax and foreground layers
- Can complete the stages in about 5 hours but you can keep (and will want to) come back to the stages
- Matt highly recommends the game, would pay $50 for it
- Also an 8.4
- Giant puffy ball, kinda Kirbyish
- Roll through environments and splatter paint everywhere in monochromatic worlds
- Want to gain points and open up gateways
- There’s an overall countdown timer, secondary mission objectives
- It’s a very polished Wii third-party game
- Matt thinks they could have done more with this first game, like use the pointer
- Matt hopes people buys it, maybe the beginning of the franchise
Nintendo’s October conferences
- Press event, not public. Two events (Japan, North America).
- Usually means that if they’re doing these events at the same time they’ve got some kind of news/game/announcement that is big enough that it must be done internationally
- Joke that maybe it’s just Wii Music, but Matt believes Nintendo is now aware they need to appeal to the hardcore. Joking about how Wii Music at the conference would be a double slap in the face.
- Matt still thinks Wii Music will be there, but they’ll downplay it. Says maybe they’ll show off Disaster since it hasn’t been announced for North America yet.
- Matt isn’t too sure that Kid Icarus will be there
- Matt is optimistic because Iwata basically admitted that E3 was horrible. Believes maybe Disaster, The Conduit, Animal Crossing Fatal Frame will be at the conference. Don’t totally turn away the possibility of a new game announcement.
- Might be a good opportunity to give a solution to the storage problem since this is being done internationally
- Matt won’t really talk about Kid Icarus now since he hasn’t heard anything new. Bozon thinks maybe next year at GDC or something. (This is all speculation)
- This is preceding TGS, so it could be their “splash”
- Matt thinks it’s going to be a big event, he goes on record and says people should tune in that week, but he could be wrong
- Official release date on October 20
- Joke about burning Wii Music discs
- Little Big Planet comes out on the same day
Shaun White’s Snowboarding
- Daemon thinks it looks visually impressive
- He likes the game, the balance board controls feel good. Is a bit casual.
- Has multiplayer issue because everyone will want to use the balance board
- Looks better than Skate It because it’s stylized
- Wii version is taking more of a casual approach, but Craig says this isn’t a bad thing
- DS game was pretty good too
- Joke about how Cammie Dunaway should be a playable character
Guitar Hero: On Tour Decades
- Great track-listing
- Basically like the last game, just more of an update
- Bozon thinks the tracks are way better than the first game, Craig thinks there are some awful tracks
- Daemon says it’s a lot of fun
- Multiplayer much like single-player, want to win each wave
- Three multiplayer maps for single-cart multiplayer, 9 for multi-cart
- Comes out next month, should be on people’s radar
Drawn to Life SpongeBob
- The original sold very well
- Craig believes this version will sell much more than the original version because SpongeBob is in the game
- Presentation is a little iffy, no character voices - but still fun
- Looks pretty good visually, ran smoothly
- Nothing original about it
- Has same issues as moon since there aren’t many enemies on screen
- When enemies get shot they don’t react
- No radar
- Might be okay, need to play more
- IGN Nintendo Team has had some concerns looking at trailers/screens of Disaster: Day of Crisis. Some parts of the game look fun, others not so much.
- Commodore 64 isn’t on NA VC yet probably because it was more popular in Europe. Bozon says he can’t name 5 games he’d want. Craig wants Atari 2600 games.
- Call of Duty for Wii is being held off for an event coming up soon. Nothing new on Renegade Kid’s title that can be shared, the company said it’s not the right time to show more yet. The Conduit’s publisher news any day now, IGN will hear first. Matt is guessing EA.
- Should Capcom release Mega Man X on the VC? Why not
- Favorite entry in the Wario Land franchise? Virtual Boy game - Bozon, Wario Land 2 - Daemon, Super Mario Land 3 (?) - Craig
- Away Shuffle Dungeon opinion - Daemon likes it a lot
- The World Ends With You sold around 270,000, good for a new IP.
- Should see some more coverage of Quantum of Solace soon
- Mega Man 9 on which console? Wii for Bozon since it looks muddy on the 360
- Matt and Craig like the new layout more. Matt says the ads aren’t bigger.
- Know anything about the new Spider-Man game for Wii? - No, but DS version is fun, Craig and Bozon both like it
- Wii Shop Channel is inefficient - Bozon thinks Nintendo won’t fix it, Matt wants a storage solution