Secrets of Samus
A new video from Did You Know Gaming takes on another of Nintendo’s biggest franchises in their latest video. This time around, they’ve spoken to former employees of Retro Studios and Next Level Games to uncover the secrets of lost and rumored Metroid titles. The games covered include Metroid 64, Metroid Tactics on the Wii, and another mysterious Metroid game originally planned for the Wii U.
What’s the story behind these lost Metroid games, and why did they never see the light of day? Watch the full video above for full insight into the history of these projects. You can also see a short summary for some of these projects below.
- Retro pitched Metroid Tactics for Wii in late 2007, but it was never shown to Nintendo
- this would have been a prequel to all other Metroid titles
- the gameplay would have been akin to XCOM
- the story would spotlight the moment Samus separates from the Chozo
- Samus would team with Galactic Federation troopers and bounty hunters
- Samus would stop an incursions on Norion and Earth
- Samus would also take on Space Pirates on Planet Zebes
- you would be able to play as Samus, as well as other characters
- one would be named Justin Bailey, a reference to the famous NES Metroid password
- Samus would get money by completing missions, rescuing civilians and more
- money could be spent to hire Galactic Federation troopers and bounty hunters
- you could also spend money on weapons, armor and more
- characters could gain new abilities by earning experience
- controls with the Wii Remote were meant to mimic PC mouse-based titles
- there would have been some sort of online play
Mario + Rabbids has been a success so perhaps this Metroid Tactics could have been a success also. Although Mario is a far stronger IP than Metroid.
This is another well researched video from DYKG. They have really stepped it up in recent times with their level of research, often taking years before they have the information to publish a video.