Happy 10th, Kid Icarus Uprising!
Kid Icarus Uprising is officially 10 years old, which is certainly cause for celebration. In honor of the occasion, GameXplain sat down with Mike Drucker, the localization writer for Kid Icarus Uprising to get some unique insight into the game.
In the video above, you can hear all about the differences between Kid Icarus Uprising’s regional releases, along with a lot more. This is the best bit of insight into the game’s development we’ve gotten in a long time, making it a must-watch for fans.
You can find a complete timestamp breakdown of this video feature below.
- 00:00:00 Introductions
- 00:01:18 How he started working at Nintendo
- 00:03:22 What was your official title at Nintendo?
- 00:06:08 Working with Sakurai
- 00:07:01 Comedy differences between English and Japanese versions
- 00:08:00 Translation process
- 00:10:13 Tonal Differences
- 00:11:45 Adapting Pit’s Personality
- 00:12:39 Translating while the script was still being written
- 00:13:46 Challenges in translating
- 00:15:09 Inserting Game References and freedom
- 00:16:07 Unused references
- 00:16:47 How big was the writing team?
- 00:17:59 GROOSE?!? -00:19:58 Thanatos
- 00:21:46 Wikipedia for reference
- 00:22:33 Play the game while translating?
- 00:23:04 The Control Scheme
- 00:23:52 Did you go back to play the finished game?
- 00:24:39 Did you change script while in the process of recording lines?
- 00:25:47 How early in the process was the cast established?
- 00:26:46 Pit’s song
- 00:28:01 Favorite lines from the game?
- 00:29:52 Matching the voice to the sound in your head
- 00:30:41 Favorite character?
- 00:32:24 Dialing back the Perviness
- 00:33:55 Writing for a game different from writing for a show
- 00:36:58 Writing for Mario Party 9
- 00:39:54 Pop culture references
- 00:41:13 Feeling 10 years old
- 00:43:22 General Nintendo memories
- 00:45:28 NOA Paintball fight
- 00:47:15 What games do you play these days?
- 00:49:20 Favorite Nintendo franchises
- 00:50:48 Kid Icarus Sequel?
- 00:51:44 Wrapping up