U.S. hardware/software sales for April 2023 (Switch returns to #1)
Switch shoots back to #1
The latest sales figures for the game industry have come in. Today brings us stats on how things are going in the U.S., and first up we have the top 20 software sales.
In terms of hardware, we know that the Switch came in at #1 in terms of units sold, while the PS5 was #1 in terms of revenue. Obviously The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom hype led to big Switch sales, especially with the Zelda OLED launching.
We also have some general stats for the game industry in U.S. for April 2023, which you can see below.
- spending declined 6% in April when compared to a year ago to $3.6 billion
- hardware spending grew 7% when compared to YA, to $367M
- this is the highest hardware spend for an April month since the $420M reached in April 2020
- there was double-digit percentage growth in both PS5 and Switch dollar sales
- year-to-date hardware spending is 18% higher when compared to the same period in 2022
- accessories spending during April was flat when compared to a year ago, at $158 million