Reviving two GameCube classics is hard work
In Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster, two JRPG classics return; Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and Baten Kaitos Origins. These revamped titles are set to arrive on Sept. 15th, 2023, and just two weeks ahead of that launch, we’ve gotten a bit more insight into the work the dev team did to prepare these titles for arrival on Switch.
In an interview with Nintendo Everything, Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster producer Koji Nakajmia opened up about what the team had done to rework these classics, and also touched on some of the challenges that popped up during the process.
- main characters, battle backgrounds, and bosses were “re-modeled or brushed up”
- towns and dungeons have been remade in a higher resolution
- original art materials have been retained
- the team made sure to not “destroy the atmosphere and image of the original game”
- runs at a 16:9 aspect ratio rather than 4:3 of the originals
- it took time to get everything from the original games working on new hardware
- multiple problems arose during the transition process, but they were solved one-by-one