Wondering how the Switch held up in Japan this week? Switch titles made up 9 of the top 10 best-selling software list. Square Enix’s LIVE A LIVE, which is exclusive to Nintendo Switch, has made its debut in the top spot, selling 71,137 units in its first week on the market. Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Set has now finally been dethroned, bumped down all the way to fourth, as Nintendo Switch Sports takes second place. Koei Tecmo’s Nobunaga’s Ambition: Rebirth also saw debut this week, with the Switch version taking fifth.
As for hardware, the Switch held its top spot with the standard model, selling 30,182 additional units. This is followed by the Switch OLED in second (28,715), and the Switch Lite in third (10,477).
Check out the full rundown for software and hardware for July 18th to July 24th, 2022 below!
Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
- [NSW] LIVE A LIVE – 71,137 (NEW)
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 24,869 (598,527)
- [PS4] Nobunaga’s Ambition: Rebirth – 23,425 (New)
- [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Set – 22,871 (200,263)
- [NSW] Nobunaga’s Ambition: Rebirth – 21,753 (New)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 11,976 (4,734,067)
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 9,746 (812,708)
- [NSW] Minecraft – 9,542 (2,717,993)
- [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 9,380 (3,221,140)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 5,841 (4,930,600)
Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
- Switch – 30,182 (18,526,938)
- Switch OLED Model – 28,715 (2,055,364)
- Switch Lite – 10,477 (4,816,631)
- PlayStation 5 – 9,804 (1,512,433)
- Xbox Series X – 2,884 (127,800)
- Xbox Series S – 2,128 (146,237)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 1,390 (252,212)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 125 (1,187,874)
- PlayStation 4 – 11 (7,819,769)
I don't know what to make of the debut sales of LIVE A LIVE. Yes 71,000 is respectable, but when it originally released in September 1994 on the Super Famicom, it sold 91,624. And went on to sell around 200,000 by the end of its life. The Switch has a far bigger install base as well. It should beat the lifetime sales no problem with added digital sales, but it's not a mind-blowing success.
The OLED model of Switch is close to becoming the best selling model going forward. Japan does love their handhelds.