As promised, the latest game in the Mortal Kombat series has been officially announced, and it’s none other than the previously rumored Mortal Kombat 1. Fortunately, the game has been confirmed for Nintendo Switch, and will launch alongside the other legacy platforms on September 19th, 2023. Pricing for both the standard physical and digital release will be set at $69.99 USD. Pre-orders will begin tomorrow, May 19th, with the playable character Shang Tsung included as a pre-order bonus. Check out the reveal trailer above and additional details below. More information TBA.
Mortal Kombat 1 is the latest title in the acclaimed Mortal Kombat videogame franchise developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios. The game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before, along with a new fighting system, game modes, bone krushing finishing moves, and more.
The Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) on Nintendo Switch and will include all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).
- All versions of Mortal Kombat 1 are built on NetherRealm Studios technology with oversight by NetherRealm
- Shiver Entertainment and Saber Interactive are developing the Nintendo Switch version of the game
- Nintendo Switch Online membership will be required for online multiplayer
- Rollback netcode to support online gameplay.
- Cross-play and cross-progression support coming post-launch
- Mortal Kombat 1 will feature reimagined fighters like they’ve never been seen before, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others
- Kameo Fighters are a unique roster of partner characters to assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players. These characters are chosen separately from the main roster of fighters
- NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with a brand-new cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for the wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters. More details for online and offline modes will be coming soon.